This article is about How to optimize the website for SEO to rank top on search engine result pages. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a process of improving the visibility of a website in search engines. The primary function of SEO is to drive more organic traffic to a website that converts into sales. The goal of search engine optimization is to have the search engine bots not only find your website but also specifically rank the page so that it appears at the top of the search engine results. The process of optimization is not a one-time process it requires a continuous maintenance and monitoring.
If you have done a good SEO, your website will get more traffic and get more opportunities to convert potential customers. An optimized website has better metrics, such as time on page and bounce rate, which means that Google might rank it higher.
Steps to Optimize your Website
- Meta Description: Write a good and unique description relevant to your services with keywords which has high search in search engines. The description should be in 150 to 160 characters. You can also have more than 160 characters but the search engines will not display on the result pages. You can write separate Meta description for every page in your website. It tells the browser what the website is about.
- Title tag: The title tag should contain unique keyword relevant to your service. Have a separate keyword for separate page, so the search engines could identify easily which page to provide for the customer. The keyword length should be in 50 to 60 characters.
- URL: Modify the URL with the target keyword for that page.
- H1 Tags: You should maintain one H1 tag for a page and multiple H2 and H3 tags. The H1 tag should indicate the service for that particular page. Make the H1 tag with service related keyword. Also you can keep keywords for H2 and H3 tags.
- Content: Content is always the king of the website. Write a unique content relevant to your service with a normal amount of keyword. You should not stuff the keyword in the content. The content should be easy to understand for all kind of customers. The content should clearly explain the type of product or service you provide.
- Alt Tag for Image: All the images should have alt and title tag, which Google recommends. Search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing etc., can only read words not any form of images. So by writing alt tag and title tag, Google can understand what the image is for.
- Image Size: Maintain the image size between 80kb to 100kb, so that the website loads faster. The website that loads for longer time will lose the customers.
- Interlinking with in your website: Maintain a proper navigation with in your website. All the pages should be properly interlinked with each other. The customer should feel easy to navigate from one to another.
- Robot.txt: It tells the search engine bot which page it should read and which page it should not.
- Sitemap: Submitting sitemap for a website tell search engines the priority of the website pages. It is like numbering the pages in order. It also updates the search engine when the site was last updated. After making any changes in your website create and submit a new sitemap. It is like telling the search engines we are still in business.